Before you start the alteration process, please take a look at the below points to ensure you have everything to hand before you begin:
- Are you the property owner or do you have permission from the owner to alter your supply?
- Your Meter Point Reference Number (MPRN) will be required when filling in your application form. This can be found on your gas bills or by searching via this helpful link: https://www.findmysupplier.energy/
- A sketch or site plan showing the property, the existing and proposed meter positions.
- Consider who will carry out the digging on your land. You have the option to carry out the digging & reinstatement yourself, or can opt for Northern Gas Networks to complete this for you. Here is a handy leaflet for reinstatement.
- Reconnection of your gas meter – there are 3 different types of meter reconnections that we offer; No Reconnection, Partial Reconnection, Full Reconnection. Please see see further information below regarding Reconnections.
- A photo of the gas meter, including the emergency control valve (ECV)
In addition to the above points listed, if you are applying for an alteration of your supply to a Businesses or Industrial premises, or an Upgrade of supply to any type of property we will also require:
- Your hourly & annual gas loads
These can be obtained from a Gas Safe engineer.
The hourly gas load is calculated by totalling the kilowatts (kW) used by each gas appliance that will be fed from this supply (for example, 60kW boiler + 30kW heater = 90kW hourly load).
The annual gas load can be calculated using the following multiplication: ‘Hourly gas load’ x ‘Usage hours per day’ x ‘Usage days per week’ x ‘Usage weeks per year’