If you smell gas or are worried about gas safety, call 0800 111 999 at any time of the day or night. Read more

Press Office
0113 322 7950

Out of hours: 0113 322 7978

Stakeholder Relations Team


Smell Gas?
0800 111 999
Day or night
Non-emergency calls
Customer Care Team
0800 040 7766

Useful information and advice

What should I do if I smell gas?

If you smell gas call the National Gas Emergency Service immediately on 0800 111 999. Make sure you put out any naked flames, open doors and windows, keep people away from the area and turn the gas off at the emergency control valve.

What do I do if I suspect a gas leak?

If you suspect a gas leak you should do the following immediately:

  • Call the National Gas Emergency Service on 0800 111 999
  • Open all doors and windows
  • Turn the gas off at the emergency control valve if possible, unless the meter is located in the cellar or basement. The emergency control valve is located near your gas meter
  • Do not turn lights on or off and avoid using other electrical switches and appliances
  • Don’t smoke, light a match or any other naked flame
What if the gas leak is indoors?

Our engineers will always make the situation safe when called to a suspected gas escape. However, the emergency service provided by Northern Gas Networks under the terms of its license doesn’t cover repairs to appliances or installation pipework which can’t be completed within 30 minutes.

What happens when I dial the National Gas Emergency Service?

When you dial 0800 111 999, your call will be routed to the call centre where trained operators are working round-the-clock waiting to take your call. A call handling agent will log all the appropriate details onto a computer. The kind of information you’ll be asked for includes:

  • The address / location of the suspected gas escape or gas emergency
  • How many people are at the property
  • Where the smell is most noticeable
  • How long the smell has been noticeable
  • Are any neighbours affected
  • Your name and phone number
  • Any special circumstances or access information
How long will I have to wait for an engineer to arrive?

Northern Gas Networks aims to attend all uncontrolled gas escapes within one hour, and all controlled escapes within two hours. A controlled gas escape is one where the person reporting it has confirmed that the gas emergency control valve serving the premises has been turned off and the smell of gas has gone. An uncontrolled gas escape covers all others.

Sometimes, our Rapid Response Engineers will be sent to a leak that has been reported outdoors. Around a quarter of these turn out not be gas leaks at all. Around 80% of the gas escapes we attend are inside buildings. That means the escape is related to internal pipework, a boiler, gas fire or other gas appliance.

What happens once your engineers have made the situation safe?

Once we have made the property safe, our Rapid Response Engineer will explain that any work on appliances (e.g. cookers, boilers or fires) has to be carried out by Gas Safe Registered engineer. You can find details on the Gas Safe Register website.

What do I do if I have no gas supply?

It doesn’t happen often and when it does we promise to get you back on as quickly as we can, but if you do find yourself with no gas you should do the following immediately:

  • Call the National Gas Emergency Service on 0800 111 999
  • Open all doors and windows
  • Turn the gas off at the emergency control valve if possible, unless the meter is located in the cellar or basement. The emergency control valve is located near your gas meter
  • Turn off all gas appliances
  • Do not turn lights on or off and avoid using other electrical switches and appliances
  • Don’t smoke, light a match or any other naked flame
What can I do to stay warm while my gas is off?

No one wants to be without heating, hot water or the ability to cook and we’ll do everything to get your gas back on as quickly as possible. We will provide electrical heaters and hot plates for those who need them most while the gas is turned off. Make sure you wear extra layers to keep warm and drink plenty of hot drinks.

How do you ensure there is always enough gas to meet demand?

National Grid is responsible for ensuring the national gas pipeline system is kept in balance. It ensures a balanced system by buying and selling gas and using stored gas to ensure that in most normal circumstances, demand can be met. Usually the system is balanced by gas bought on the open market through the ‘On the Day Commodity Market (OCM)’ set up as part of the Network Code, the rules that govern the supply of gas. National Grid also has gas in store (the so called Top-up and Operating Margins gas) to ensure the system is balanced and that supplies are maintained.

How do I find out who my gas supplier is?

To find out who your gas supplier is you can call the M Number Helpline on 0870 608 1524. You’ll need to tell them your postcode and the first line of your address. Calls cost 7p per minute plus your phone network operators access charge. Alternatively you can visit the Find My Supplier website: www.findmysupplier.energy

If you have to dig on my property, how will you fill in the excavation?

Repairing or renewing gas pipes inevitably involves some digging. Where possible we try to restrict this work to public areas but sometimes we have no choice but to dig small holes in driveways or footpaths in people’s gardens. For planned work, we always tell householders in advance if we need to do this. If we dig on your property we will always reinstate the area we have disturbed to a high standard. When reinstating your driveway or footpath we will match the original material i.e. concrete for concrete, tarmac for tarmac. Although we will do our best to replicate the colour and texture of the existing area it is virtually impossible to match it exactly. This is usually due to the age, weathering and general wear and tear of the original surface. Colour matching usually improves as the new surface weathers.

All about connections

Do you supply the meter as part of the New Connection?

No, as Northern Gas Networks are not a gas supplier. Northern Gas Networks will provide you with a Meter Point Reference Number (MPRN) after you accept the quotation. You will need this MPRN when contacting your chosen energy supplier to arrange your gas meter installation. 

Do I have to pay for a New Connection or is there any funding to help me get connected?

There is a cost to get connected to the gas network and they are determined based on the type of property being connected, the position of the nearest viable main and how much pipework is required to connect the property.  

If you are applying to connect a residential property you may be eligible for funding to help towards the cost of the connection through Communitas Energy CIC. For more information follow this link; https://www.northerngasnetworks.co.uk/gas-connections/get-connected/funding-help/ 

What Reconnection do I need for my Alteration works (meter move)?

The Reconnection is the process of moving your meter and reconnecting it to your gas appliances following the alteration of your supply pipe. There are several options available based on the alteration works that you require:  

Full Reconnection – We will move the meter to the new position and reconnect it back up to your gas appliances. This is only available when there is no more than 2 metres of outlet (copper) pipework required to connect the meter to the appliances. 

Partial Reconnection – We will move the meter to the new position but we will not connect it to your appliances. You will need to arrange your own Gas Safe engineer to complete the outlet (copper) pipework reconnection from the meter to the gas appliances. 

No reconnection – This option means that we will not move or reconnect your meter. This will apply if you are changing to or from a semi-concealed meter box or if you are making arrangements elsewhere to complete the meter reconnections.  

We will disconnect your meter temporarily and move your supply pipe to its new position. You will need to arrange an OAMI (Ofgem Approved Meter Installer) to visit your property after the alteration is complete to connect your meter back to your service pipe, your internal pipework and appliances so you can use your gas. If you are changing your meter due to a change to or from a semi-concealed meter box, you will need to contact your gas supplier to arrange these reconnection works. 

Purge and relight – the supply pipe is being altered but the meter is staying in the same position. We will purge the meter and relight your gas appliances.   

You can find a local Gas Safe Engineer by visiting https://www.gassaferegister.co.uk/  

I need to use more gas, what should I do? / What is a GT1 check?

You should contact your gas supplier and ask for a GT1 check. This check will determine whether the pipe feeding your property is big enough to supply the load that you require. If the GT1 check confirms that the existing supply pipe is adequate, you can arrange your bigger meter with your supplier. If the GT1 check confirms that the existing supply pipe is inadequate for the load you need, you will need to apply for a service upgrade. Follow this link to apply: https://www.northerngasnetworks.co.uk/gas-connections/make-changes/what-to-expect/   

I’m building an extension; can I build over my gas supply pipe?
I’m getting my gas disconnected, what happens with my meter?

You will need to arrange your gas supplier (who you pay your bills to) to remove your gas meter before we can disconnect the supply from the gas network.  

How long before my works will start on site?

Lead times vary in each area and the lead times change frequently. However, we can provide you with an up-to-date lead time – just call 0800 040 7766 (option 2) or email gasconnections@northerngas.co.uk   

When will I get my start date for the works on site?

We have up to 20 working days from the date of your acceptance/payment to review your works and contact you with a proposed start date, although we do aim to get in touch sooner. 

During this time the team are making the arrangements for your work to get started which can include contacting Councils and third parties, organising team availabilities and ordering materials for the works. 

What is a MPRN and where can I find mine?

An MPRN or Meter Point Reference Number’ is a unique reference number which every live gas supply has. You can usually find this on your gas bill or you can search for it here; https://www.findmysupplier.energy/  

What is an ECV?

Your ECV (Emergency Control Valve) is located before the meter. This is usually a red plastic or metallic handle which isolates the supply of gas to your meter and beyond. This should be used in emergencies where you may need to isolate the gas to the property. 

What is a Live or Dead check and how do I book one?

If there is an existing supply pipe at the property, we can send an engineer to the property to test the pipe to see if there is gas present. Just contact us on 0800 040 7766 (option 2) to speak to our team between the hours of 08:00 – 17:00 Monday – Friday, or email the site address and contact details to gasconnections@northerngas.co.uk requesting a ‘Live/Dead check’ 

However, if you smell gas, call 0800 111 999 immediately. 

What are consents and easements?

NGN need to ensure that they have the correct legal rights in place in order to lay gas pipes in land (own or third parties).  On some occasions we may send additional paperwork with your quotation for you to get signed by the landowners.  Without this signed documentation, we will be unable to proceed with your work. 

Consent – this may be requested if we are carrying out works to a property which is not owned by you or if we need to lay some of our pipe in neighbouring land. We will send you a Consent Form and Consent Drawing which you will need to arrange to be signed by the third-party landowner. See our Form of Consent guidance leaflet for more information.

Easement – this is a legal right which will need to be granted prior to our gas mains/pipelines being laid.  An easement places restrictions on what can and cannot be done within the easement strip for the overall protection of the gas main/pipeline (for example, buildings cannot be placed over the strip).  The process of acquiring an easement involves NGNs solicitors liaising with the customers solicitors (and third-party solicitors where applicable) to put the agreements into place and easements are registerable with Land Registry. On average the legal process can take 4-8 weeks to complete. See our Easement guidance leaflet for more information.

Northern Gas Networks are completing my reinstatement, what should I expect?

If your works include reinstatement by Northern Gas Networks our expert teams will follow shortly after we have completed works on the gas pipe. Most surfaces should take up to 5 working days to finish, and you’ll see a number of different teams working together:

  1. First, a grab vehicle will visit to fill in the hole. They’ll use approved recycled materials wherever possible  
  1. Secondly, our expert reinstatement contractors will complete the final layers of reinstatement to the highest standard to try to match the existing surfaces 
  1. Lastly, our support drivers will clear all of our equipment from the site. 

For more information, please see our handy reinstatement leaflet.

You will receive a 2 year guarantee card with reinstatement that Northern Gas Networks completes. 

If you need to speak to someone about your ongoing or upcoming reinstatement works please contact 0800 040 7766 (option 2) to speak to our team between the hours of 08:00 – 17:00 Monday – Friday