Before you start the connections process you’ll need to consider the following points to ensure you have everything to hand before you begin:
- Are you the property owner or do you have permission from the owner to connect to the network?
- For new build properties we will require a to-scale site plan, which also includes surrounding geography
- Who’s going to carry out the digging on your land? You have the option to carry out the digging & reinstatement yourself, or can opt for Northern Gas Networks to complete this for you. Here is a handy leaflet for reinstatement
- Where is the gas meter going to be positioned?
In addition to the above points listed, if you are applying for a new connection to a Business or Industrial premises, we will also require:
- Your hourly & annual gas loads
These can be obtained from a Gas Safe engineer.
The hourly gas load is calculated by totalling the kilowatts (kW) used by each gas appliance that will be fed from this supply (for example, 60kW boiler + 30kW heater = 90kW hourly load).
The annual gas load can be calculated using the following multiplication: ‘Hourly gas load’ x ‘Usage hours per day’ x ‘Usage days per week’ x ‘Usage weeks per year’