Did you know you could save up to 63p per hour by using a slow cooker instead of a traditional cooker? A slow cooker is a great, cost effective way of making delicious and nutritious meals with little preparation.
To coincide with the Nation’s Biggest Housewarming on Wednesday 5 February – a event created by National Energy Action to increase awareness of fuel poverty around the UK and Ireland – NGN is launching a national competition, in partnership with Community Action Northumberland, to develop a delicious slow-cooker recipe. The competition promotes the key messages of healthy eating, wellbeing and economic cooking; entrants must create an easy-to-prepare recipe made with affordable ingredients, prepared in a slow cooker.
Competition entrants should create an appetising, healthy and affordable recipe that can be cooked entirely in a slow cooker. It could be a family favourite, a new innovation or a spin on a classic – the choice is yours!
The recipe competition was introduced at the inaugural Warm Hub Luncheon Club at St Mary’s Church, Longframlington, near Morpeth, on January 27. As well as receiving a hot meal, and advice regarding energy efficiency, attendees at the Warm Hub were treated to a demonstration of a Vegan Moroccan Stew recipe, specially designed and prepared by Michael Hall, regional winner of Chef of the Year at the 2016 North East Culinary Trade Association, and chef at The Granby Inn, Longframlington nr. Morpeth.
Northern Gas Networks and its long term partner, Community Action Northumberland, launched the award-winning Warm Hubs programme in 2015, as a way of giving residents in rural, off-grid locations access to friendly, warm places, run by local volunteers, where they can go to socialise, enjoy refreshments and have access to services including energy efficiency advice. More than 8,000 residents use the Warm Hubs throughout the year.
The launch of the Pop-Up Hubs, a series of one-off Warm Hub events in the more isolated areas, are providing further support for communities who may not be connected to the gas network. The Pop-Up Hubs have been visited by over 500 residents so far. The Hubs also offers information on tariffs, the Priority Services Register and Warm Homes discount which are some of the ways Northern Gas Network support those in need of help across the region.
The Hubs initiative, launched across the North East, has expanded to other parts of the UK and communities who would like further support and advice on issues surrounding energy efficiency. The competition closes on Monday, February 28, 2020. The prize includes a slow cooker, provided by Northern Gas Networks, essential kitchen utensils and a hamper of locally sourced ingredients to make a range of delicious slow-cooked recipes.
Winners will be chosen by Michael Hall and a panel from Northern Gas Networks.
Terms and Conditions
- This prize promotion is open to all UK residents (England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland), except for anyone directly connected with the planning or administration of the prize promotion (including Northern Gas Networks and their immediate families).
5. To enter, send your slow cooker recipe and photograph of your finished dish to email@example.com or post to:
Slow Stew Competition
FAO Communications Team
Northern Gas Networks,
Thorpe Park Business Park,
1100 Century Way,
by Friday 28th February 2020, include a full name, home address, contact number and email address.
- Entries that are incomplete, lost, mislaid, damaged, corrupted, delayed, wrongly delivered, or not received for whatever reason will not be accepted. Any comments that we consider (in our absolute discretion) to be vulgar, offensive, indecent, racist, copied, offensive, cruel or fraudulent, or infringe on the rights or others will be immediately removed.
- The entry instructions form part of the rules. By entering, you agree to accept and be bound by the rules.
- Everyone who meets the entry criteria will be entered into the competition for consideration.
- There will be one entry per person. No third party or bulk entries. If it becomes apparent that either a participant or household is using any means to circumvent this condition such as, and without limitation, multiple email addresses, fraudulently falsifying data, acting fraudulently or dishonestly in the opinion of the promoter or otherwise acting in violation of these terms, these participants will be disqualified and any prize entitlement will be void.
- One winner will be selected, and their entry, name and hometown will be shared with respective local press, national press and on Northern Gas Networks’ social media channels. Consent is withdrawable at any time, however failure to provide permission for Northern Gas Networks to publish this information will result in removal from the competition.
- Entries must be received by the time specified in these terms and conditions to be in with a chance of winning. All competition entries received after the time specified are automatically disqualified and deleted.
- All entries (excluding the winners) will be deleted after 90 days.
- The prize for the winner is a 6L Cookworks slow cooker and essential kitchen utensils including a set of 3 polypropylene chopping boards, a stainless steel peeler, a dishwasher safe ladle, a wooden spoon, a spatula and some mini measure spoons (worth £42 RRP) plus a hamper of locally sourced ingredients to make a range of delicious slow-cooked recipes.
14. There is no cash or alternative to the prize stated and we cannot send the prize to anyone other than the named winner. The prize is non-transferable, non-refundable and cannot be resold. The Promoter reserves the right to substitute the prize for an alternative one of the same or higher value.
15. The winner will be notified via email or telephone.
16. If a prize is not claimed within two days of that winner being notified, the prize will be redrawn and awarded to a new winner. The Promoter does not accept any responsibility if you are not able to take up the prize.
17. We reserve the right to cancel, amend, withdraw, terminate or temporarily suspend this promotion for whatever reason, with no liability to any entrants or third parties but if this happens we will use all reasonable endeavours to avoid consumer disappointment.
- Insofar as is permitted by law, the Promoter, its agents or distributors will not in any circumstances be responsible or liable to compensate the winner or accept any liability for any loss, damage, personal injury or death occurring as a result of taking up the prize except where it is caused by the negligence of the Promoter, its agents or distributors or that of their employees. Your statutory rights are not affected.
19. The promoter’s decision is final and binding. No correspondence will be entered into.
20. As part of the introduction of the EU General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) we have updated our Privacy Notices. These Privacy Notices set out the basis on which any personal data we collect from you, or that you provide to us, will be processed. The Promoter will only process your personal information as set out in the Privacy Notice: https://www.northerngasnetworks.co.uk/legal-information/. By entering into this competition and providing us with your information, you agree to these terms and conditions and our Privacy Notices. The Promotor is only using the personal data of the entrants to administer the competition on the basis that it is necessary for entering or performing a Contract.
21. The Promoter is: Northern Gas Networks, Thorpe Park Business Park, 1100 Century Way, Colton, Leeds, LS15 8TU.