Our engineers continue to work around the clock to restore gas supplies to 270 properties in the east side of Ellenborough, after flood water found its way into the gas network.
The complex nature of the repair means we expect work to continue into tomorrow (Sunday).
We are providing the following support for customers without gas, until supplies are restored:
– A customer drop in centre has been set up at Maryport Social Club, Mealpot Road, CA15 6NE.
– Shower facilities are available at Workington Leisure Centre, Moor Close, CA14 3SA. Opening hours today (Sat) and tomorrow are 8.30am-5pm.
– Hot food for those without gas supplies can be obtained from Ellenborough Fish & Chip Shop, 126a Main Street, Maryport, Cumbria, CA15 7DU. The shop is open until late this evening, and from midday tomorrow.
– On site catering will be provided from 11am tomorrow (Sunday) by Humes Catering Service
– Alternative accommodation is available for vulnerable customers without gas, and electric hot plates and heaters are being provided on a priority basis.
– A Northern Gas Networks customer care team is on hand to make sure local residents are given every possible support until supplies can be restored.
Matty McBride, area manager for Northern Gas Networks said:
“Our engineers are continuing to work hard to restore supplies to the 270 properties affected. Work is ongoing to pinpoint where the water has found its way into the local gas network, so that repairs can be made and the water pumped clear. Once this work has been completed, we will then need to carry out individual safety checks at each property, before we can restore supplies.
“The complex nature of the job means that work will need to continue into tomorrow (Sunday). In the meantime, we will support customers with a range of welfare facilities, and ensure that vulnerable customers are looked after.
“We’re also still asking for local Maryport customers who are not affected by this incident to help us by reducing their gas usage as much as they can, just until things are back to normal.
“We’d like to thank customers for their patience and understanding as we work to restore normal service.”
Customers with questions or concerns can call Northern Gas Networks on 0800 040 7766 option 5.
Anyone who smells gas should call the National Gas Emergency Service on 0800 111 999.