Repair work on a large gas main, deep under Ripon Road in Harrogate, looks set to continue into the night.
Northern Gas Networks (NGN) says its engineers will continue working 24-hours and plan to start restoring gas supplies tomorrow.
Around 3,000 properties in the HG1, HG2, HG3 and HG4 postcode areas are currently without gas following a gas escape on Friday. NGN has set up a customer support centre at Jennyfield Styan Community Centre to provide advice, food vouchers and heating and cooking equipment.
To make the process of restoring supplies as quick and safe as possible, engineers are now asking people who have been affected to take some important safety steps.
These steps ONLY apply to people who live in one of the streets listed at the end of this update AND who have no gas at all.
If your gas supply has not been affected, you do not need to follow this advice no matter where you live. Please check or contact us for advice if you are in any doubt.
Affected properties will also receive a letter containing a set of labels to display in their front window or door.
You do not need to wait until you receive your hand-delivered letter, as the sooner you act the better.
Please follow these instructions in the order below.
NB: Only carry out these steps if you currently have no gas AND you live in one of the streets listed at the end of this message.
- Turn off all of your gas appliances (boiler, cooker, fire etc).
- Turn off the gas supply to your home at the meter.
- Locate your gas meter. It could be under the stairs, in a cupboard or in the meter box outside your property.
- Give the emergency control valve (a spanner-style handle) a quarter turn in either direction so that it is at a right angle with the gas pipe. There may be yellow tape on the pipe to guide you.
- Clearly display one of the following three labels in either your window or door. (The labels will be printed on the back of the letter you will receive from us.)
- I have turned my gas supply off
- I have not turned my gas supply off – help needed (see contact details for NGN below)
- I do not have a gas meter
- If you smell gas, call the National Gas Emergency Service on 0800 111 999.
Warning: It is not safe to turn your gas back on until we tell you to do so.
If you need help or have any concerns, you can speak to one of our engineers working in your community or call us on 0800 040 7766 followed by option 3.
Our customer support team is also available in-person at the Jennyfield Styan Community Centre in Grantley Drive, HG3 2XU.
Please make sure an engineer can get access to your home and, before allowing anyone into your property, please ask to see their identity card. If you miss an engineer’s visit please contact us.
If you are aware of neighbours who may need special help or who are away, please tell us so we can make any necessary arrangements. Help includes assistance with food and heating. Covid-19 measures will be in place including social distancing.
To avoid overloading the electricity network, please keep your electricity use to a minimum at this time.
Our engineers will give you regular updates on our progress. We’ll also provide the latest information on our website, through Facebook, and on our Twitter feed.
We are sorry for the inconvenience and assure you we’re doing everything we can to restore your gas supply safely and as quickly as possible.
Streets this advice refers to:
HALTON GILL GROVE
JENNY FIELD DRIVE
OAK BECK ROAD
OAK BECK WAY
PENNY ROYAL CLOSE
PETTY WHIN CLOSE
SUTTON GRANGE CLOSE
WOOD AVEN CLOSE