The North of England’s gas distributor, Northern Gas Networks (NGN), has launched a brand-new competition, encouraging primary school children to learn more about the dangers of Carbon Monoxide (CO).
The competition acts as an extension to the current Safety Seymour education programme NGN runs within schools in partnership with Cadent Gas, Wales & West Utilities and SGN. The sessions help pupils and in turn, their families, learn more about the associated risks, which together could save lives.
Open to primary school children, ages five to 11, the Safety Seymour Villain Competition will challenge pupils to give Carbon Monoxide a character and design their very own villain counterpart to allow Seymour to carry on his duties.
Tom Bell, Head of Social Strategy at Northern Gas Networks, said: “Gas safety is an incredibly important topic which is why we’re so passionate about our education programme that proactively teaches young people more about how they can identify the dangers.
“It’s important that we engage with children in a way that is interactive and enjoyable, and the Safety Seymour villain competition is a fantastic way for us to do this. We’re really looking forward to seeing the creative entries that come through!”
The best Carbon Monoxide villain in each age range will see their design come to life with the character transformed into a unique, sustainable stuffed toy, as well as winning £500 worth of book tokens for their primary school submitting the idea. Two runners-up prizes will also be awarded in each category.
Winners will be selected by a panel from Northern Gas Networks, who will be on the look-out for creativity and an understanding surrounding the dangers of Carbon Monoxide.
Running until the 30th November, entries can be submitted along with the child’s name, age, primary school and parent/guardian contact information to firstname.lastname@example.org or posted to:
Safety Seymour Villains Competition
Northern Gas Networks
Thorpe Park Business Park
1100 Century Way
Alternatively, if you’re keen to find out more about holding your own Safety Seymour session within your primary school, please email email@example.com.
Anyone that smells gas or suspects carbon monoxide should call the National Gas Emergency Service immediately on 0800 111 999. This line is in operation 24-hours a day, seven days a week.
Terms and Conditions
- This prize promotion is open to all UK residents (England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland), of primary school age except for anyone directly connected with the planning or administration of the prize promotion (including Northern Gas Networks, Cadent, Wales & West Utilities or SGN employees and their immediate families).
- Entrants must have parental or guardian permission before entering the competition.
- Parental permission will be requested upon receival of the entry.
- Any entrants received that do not have accompanying parental or guardian permission within two days of the closing date will be automatically deleted.
5. To enter, send the child’s drawing to firstname.lastname@example.org or post to:
Safety Seymour Villains Competition,
Northern Gas Networks,
Thorpe Park Business Park,
1100 Century Way,
by 30th November 2019, include the child’s full name, age, primary school and hometown, as well as a mobile number for the parent/guardian.
- Entries that are incomplete, lost, mislaid, damaged, corrupted, delayed, wrongly delivered, or not received for whatever reason will not be accepted. Any comments that we consider (in our absolute discretion) to be vulgar, offensive, indecent, racist, copied, offensive, cruel or fraudulent, or infringe on the rights or others will be immediately removed.
- The entry instructions form part of the rules. By entering, you agree to accept and be bound by the rules.
- Everyone who meets the entry criteria will be entered into the competition for consideration.
- There will be one entry per child. No third party or bulk entries. If it becomes apparent that either a participant or household is using any means to circumvent this condition such as, and without limitation, multiple email addresses, fraudulently falsifying data, acting fraudulently or dishonestly in the opinion of the promoter or otherwise acting in violation of these terms, these participants will be disqualified and any prize entitlement will be void.
- One winner will be selected per category, and their entry, name, age, primary school and hometown will be shared with respective local press, national press and on Northern Gas Networks’ social media channels. Consent is withdrawable at any time, however failure to provide permission for Northern Gas Networks to publish this information will result in your child being removed from the competition.
- Entries must be received by the time specified in these terms and conditions to be in with a chance of winning. All competition entries received after the time specified are automatically disqualified and deleted.
- All entries (excluding the winners) will be deleted after 90 days.
- Entries will be divided into two age categories – age 5-7 (Key Stage 1) and age 8-11 (Key Stage 2 & 3). The prize for the winner in each category is a unique stuffed toy replicating their created design and the child’s school will also receive £500 worth of Puffin book tokens. Runner-up prizes will also be given to two children in each category, which will be Natural Earth Paints (Age 5 – 7) and Articulate for Kids (Age 8 – 11)
14. There is no cash or alternative to the prize stated and we cannot send the prize to anyone other than the named winner. The prize is non-transferable, non-refundable and cannot be resold. The Promoter reserves the right to substitute the prize for an alternative one of the same or higher value.
15. The winner will be notified via email or telephone.
16. If a prize is not claimed within two days of that winner being notified, the prize will be redrawn and awarded to a new winner. The Promoter does not accept any responsibility if you are not able to take up the prize.
17. We reserve the right to cancel, amend, withdraw, terminate or temporarily suspend this promotion for whatever reason, with no liability to any entrants or third parties but if this happens we will use all reasonable endeavours to avoid consumer disappointment.
- Insofar as is permitted by law, the Promoter, its agents or distributors will not in any circumstances be responsible or liable to compensate the winner or accept any liability for any loss, damage, personal injury or death occurring as a result of taking up the prize except where it is caused by the negligence of the Promoter, its agents or distributors or that of their employees. Your statutory rights are not affected.
19. The promoter’s decision is final and binding. No correspondence will be entered into.
20. As part of the introduction of the EU General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) we have updated our Privacy Notices. These Privacy Notices set out the basis on which any personal data we collect from you, or that you provide to us, will be processed. The Promoter will only process your personal information as set out in the Privacy Notice: https://www.northerngasnetworks.co.uk/legal-information/. By entering into this competition and providing us with your information, you agree to these terms and conditions and our Privacy Notices. The Promotor is only using the personal data of the entrants to administer the competition on the basis that it is necessary for entering or performing a Contract.
21. The Promoter is: Northern Gas Networks, Thorpe Park Business Park, 1100 Century Way, Colton, Leeds, LS15 8TU.