Carbon monoxide (CO) is a colourless, odourless and poisonous gas that can be given off as a result of the incomplete burning by appliances which burn gas and coal.
If you suspect that you may have a carbon monoxide problem with one of your appliances, for example if it burns with an orange rather than a blue flame, or if there is sooting on or around the burner, you should immediately call the National Gas Emergency Number (0800 111 999). If you live in the geographic area covered by Northern Gas Networks (see above for a map) we will send one of our engineers to your home or business and make sure that everything is safe. If you live in another area an engineer from the local gas distribution company will be sent to you.
Reports or actual escapes of CO are responded to and made safe at no charge. The arrangement of work other than making safe is the responsibility of the consumer and/or their gas supplier.
You may be entitled to a free annual safety check of gas appliances if ALL of the adults in you home are eligible for the Priority Services Register . Contact your registered gas supplier for further details.
To download our latest Carbon Monoxide safety leaflet click here.