Our engineers have begun to restore gas supplies to properties in the east side of Ellenborough, after flood water found its way into the gas network.
Supplies were restored to twenty vulnerable customers last night (Jan 2) and work will progress today (Sunday, January 3) to return gas to the remaining 250 properties affected.
Engineers need to carry out essential safety checks on a property-by-property basis, before each household can be switched back on. This process is underway, and will continue throughout the day.
In the meantime, the following welfare facilities remain available until all customers are back on supply:
– A customer drop in centre at Maryport Social Club, Mealpot Road, CA15 6NE.
– Shower facilities at Workington Leisure Centre, Moor Close, CA14 3SA. Opening hours today (Sunday) are 8.30am-5pm.
– Hot food for those without gas supplies can be obtained from Ellenborough Fish & Chip Shop, 126a Main Street, Maryport, Cumbria, CA15 7DU. The shop is open from midday today (Sunday). Food vouchers can be obtained from Maryport Social Club.
– On site catering by Humes Catering Service is available today. Food vouchers available at the Social Club.
– Alternative accommodation for vulnerable customers without gas, and electric hot plates and heaters provided on a priority basis.
– A Northern Gas Networks customer care team is on hand to make sure local residents are given every possible support until supplies can be restored.
Matty McBride, area manager for Northern Gas Networks said:
“We’d like to thank customers for their patience and understanding during this incident. Our engineers will be spending the day switching customers back onto gas supply, which I’m sure will come as a big relief to all. We hope to have all customers back on supply at some point today.
“Although it is now safe for us to restore supplies, we haven’t yet finished our work on the local gas network. Efforts continue to pinpoint where the water found its way in, and to make any necessary repairs.
“Our thanks once again to the local community for their support and goodwill.”
Customers with questions or concerns can call Northern Gas Networks on 0800 040 7766 option 5.
Anyone who smells gas should call the National Gas Emergency Service on 0800 111 999.